Tuesday, January 13, 2015

An Annual Reflection and Anticipation

I randomly started walking on the heels of my shoes the other day. I remember doing that as a child, and when my mom told me I would ruin my heel, I still did it. I was such a BA child.* We will discuss my youth another time, though. For now... a brief musing.

Another year has come and gone. Ostensibly, I am no closer to conquering the world. My brother's readership far surpassed mine with one blog post. Between work, studying, and trying to fix my posture, my brain regularly hurts. That's right, folks, I have been meandering through the homo erectus world for twenty five years incorrectly, and it has just been brought to my attention. Now seems like as good a time as any to reflect upon the happenings of 2014, personal growth, accomplishments, etc. You may remember the goals I set for myself. Always one for accountability, I will revisit these goals and evaluate whether or not I met them.

Let's begin with some clear successes. I did not go to the dentist. I'm not worried at all, though, because my increased toothpick usage has decreased the length of time a crumb may fester within my teeth's crevaces. Obvious segue to my next success. I'll be honest, the toothpick did not make regular appearances at bars, but it definitely became an integral accoutrement to many road trips.

I did indeed make one full Epicurious meal - maple bourbon bread pudding and sausage apple pizza. Granted, these were the only recipes I made from Epicurious the entire year, but I found sites I like better. Namely, all of the paleo cooking blogs. I know what you're thinking - annoying side affect of Crossfit - the broad starts preaching paleo. However, the beauty of paleo is that recipes are super simple, and more applicable to the topic at hand, it meets my goal of separating the chaff. I removed not just the chaff, but the whole grain, far surpassing my goal.

While I did not technically invent something, I did begin marketing a product that someone invented, which has to count for something. Incidentally, that same job has a host of Spanish speaking workers, and I am no more awkward around them than I am the general population. Two birds with one stone.

Admittedly, I did not make she a prude, but I refuse to take full blame for that. You cannot reform someone if they do not desire reform, and I think she really enjoys the attention when she's dirty.

Which leaves the ampersand. Alas, the symbol still leaves much to be desired. While the ideal measurements of an ampersand are around a 2-0-3, mine is struggling at 2-1-2.*

Look at that. I just talked my way into accomplishing 6 of my 8 inane goals for 2014, proving that success is all a matter of perspective.

I would like to dedicate time to creating similar goals for 2015, such as to stop putting my clothes in the washer inside-out, saving myself ten minutes of frustration as I fold them, but I fear my time and mental energy are spread thin as of late.

For 2015, I will share but one goal, or more, an overarching aim. A few years ago while training for a marathon, one of my devotionals quoted 1 Corinthians 9:26: "I run with purpose in every step.*" Since then, it has been an aim to actively apply, but I find it especially relevant anticipating the coming year. 2015 holds uncertainty and new challenges, and thinking forward can be slightly overwhelming if I allow it to be.

So what can I do? I can curl up in a ball and hug my teddy bear. Or... I can run, not only with purpose, but with purpose in every step. The implications of this are intense, but Paul was an intense individual; he was a BA. He lived his life deliberately, and he ran with endurance. In doing so, God used him in a way that continues to influence millions. What an inspiring example.

* I abbreviated BA so I am not reprimanded for inappropriate speak on the Internet. :)
* I highly doubt that visualization resonates with anyone, but in my head, it makes sense.
* I went for a run immediately after, feeling particularly motivated, only to trip and fall on my face within two blocks. God's sense of irony was not lost on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment